The summer holidays are in full swing and many of us are jetting off around the World to spend time with family and friends. But before you can hit that beach, swimming pool, or historical city you cannot wait to see, there is that dreaded journey to get there.
Here are a few tips to ensure your holiday goes ahead smoothly and without a hitch:
- when travelling on an aeroplane:
- it is better to avoid alcohol on the flight as it can dehydrate you and can make muscle pain worse. Instead drink plenty of water to keep you hydrated;
- to avoid stiffness and improve circulation try to get moving every 30 minutes to an hour;
- and particularly on those long haul flights book an aisle seat so you move around with ease.
- When lifting luggage try to bend your knees to prevent the back from arching and to avoid twisting the spine;
- Whether you are travelling by car, bus, train or aeroplane and suffer with back pain take a pillow or roll up a blanket and place it on your back to provide that extra support.
There are so many things you can do to make the travel part of the fun. If you are still in pain or discomfort, come and see us to see if we can help.
We aim to be the best Osteopaths in Hertfordshire but we see patients from surrounding areas beyond Watford including Harrow, Ruislip, Harefield, Northwood, Chorleywood, Uxbridge, Gerrards Cross and further afield. To find out what we can do to help, call us on 01923 710424 or email us at [email protected].
Anita Singadia, Osteopath and Sports Massage Therapist